SIHH 2016: Richard Mille RMS05 Mechanical Fountain Pen

A mechanical movement will as if by magic pull out the nib of your fountain pen … Let me present you Richard Mille´s RMS05 Mechanical Fountain Pen by a video and several pictures ….

The fountain pen´s nib will be pulled out of its housing when you push the magic button. While this happens you can see the mechanical movement doing this through a sapphire crystal glas that covers the upper part of the RMS05 …

Nothing else than a video could show what I just described here.

Thank you Sean Nugent for presenting me this amazing creation …

Impressed?

If you can spend 91.600 Euro (plus local taxes) the RMS05 is yours …

To tease you a little more let me also show you some pictures of the Richard Mille RMS05 Mechanical Fountain Pen

Richard Mille RMS05 Fountain Pen

Richard Mille RMS05 Mechanical Fountain Pen

Richard Mille RMS05 Fountain Pen

Richard Mille RMS05 Mechanical Fountain Pen

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

17 Comments

1. geoq says:

RM is clearly targeting the saudis, emiratis, qataris etc whether a business meeting or majlis gathering they won ‘t dare to walk in unless they have a top ratted pen on their thob ‘s chest pocket … otherwise for them it’ s like going to a brussels meeting dressed like Tsipras …it will sell like candy in these countries as the money means nothing for the executive locals…

• Hans says:

I live in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Qatatr are in financial difficulty due to low oil price,
      If low oil price continue for long time, Middle East will run out of money and have to start to borrow.
      For a Saudi must have is Rolex and Montblanc. You can get these items everywhere.

2. Steve says:

This is easily the most expensive fountain pen I have seen priced to date. At that cost I have to wonder why did they opt to use a cartridge system when it would have been better using a piston fill mechanism.

Very cool, very different, but….

3. Debashish says:

Can you tell me what is a mechanical fountain pen?

I inherited 3 Montblanc fountain pens from my father and I bought another around 10 years ago and I didn’t have any difficulty with those Montblanc fountain pens.

Yet this is the first time I heard about a mechanical fountain pen and I have to admit my ignorance, so somebody please enlighten me in this regard.

• Hans says:

It is a cross between a mechanical watch and fountain pen invented in 2016 by A Swiss watch company called Richard Miller. Montblanc fountain pen was invented nearly hundred years ago in Germany.

• Hans says:

Who will buy a pen that cost over 100 000 USD, may loose it next day and need to be send to Switzerland to change ink carriage.

• Guy says:

To answer your question: not me! I used to carry a writing instrument until I destroyed a couple of 50 USD shirts.
        My answer to my ‘why’ is because they can.
        Considering the President of the United States signs mportant bills into law with about 100 cheap ball points (admittedly they have his name on them) who needs a 100.000 USD pen?

• To all of you…

I almost ever carry a MONTBLANC fountain pen with me and I never ever had any dirty shirts or jackets. My fountain pens don’t even leak in an airplane and this is the real test for them… So I don’t see the point! And why not letting someone spending so much money for a mechanical fountain pen?!?!?!?!

• Guy says:

On a more positive note, now I know what to buy Montblanc!
            And I totally agree if someone wants to spend a 100K on pen they should! It would be fun use it when your are signing a multi-million dollar check for some noble cause.
            It is very classy and way over the top!

• Hans says:

My Montblanc with same function as Mr Mille has been leaking since day one, been to repair several times and finally replaced. I own 7 other Montblanc never had leak.

4. Juan says:

I feel that the mechanism might be very delicate to operate, specially when trying to refill the cartridge with ink, process I didn´t understand even watching the video.
    And imagine taking your pen to Switzerland in a few years to have the nib retractable system serviced!
    The body of the pen looks like as if it was made out of a piece of charred coal.
    And that price tag… very very hard to justify, harder than the justification for the price of Mille´s timepieces (they are A. Piguets ROO multiplied by ten but without a traditional brand name).

• Hans says:

I own a Montblanc with retrace nib, It is delicate and too many twist to get the nib out, Mr Mille pen looks more complicated and change the ink cartridge the pen need to be send Mr Mill every time as is too complicated for most people.

I suggest Mr Mill stick to watch making only. If he want to make a pen that sell, I suggest he take pen making class with Mr Lambertt at Montblanc,

5. Alan Adler says:

Why retract the nib? It must still be capped to protect against leakage.

• Hans says:

I own a Montblanc that retract the nib, only use this pen try to impress a beautiful young lady for an overnight stay otherwise is laying in the drawer. The reason, it is a tricky pen to use.

If you decide to take Mr Miller big oversized pen full of ink for dating, the pen start to leak ink all overall the young lady dress, you will be in big trouble as she will demand you to pay for the damage and a new dress may be more expensive than the pen.

6. Hans says:

Hi Alexander

I use fountain pen as my main writing instrument, Mr Miller fountain pen is impressive but too complicated for daily use. Monblanc make the same pen called “Montblanc Bohème Rouge Fountain Pen” cost 600 Euro, Monblanc Meisterstuck 149 top of the range cost 1000 Euro.

For less than 1% of Mr Miller fountain pen price tag, you can get pen with same function.

By looking at the pictures, it looks the pen is much bigger than Monblanc 149, if you have to write a love letter must likely you will get fatigue in your hand writing the first five words.

The next issue, pen is easy to loose.

I think Mr Miller will have a hard time with Mr Lambert selling world most known fountain pen Montblanc same as Rolex (status symbol) in the fountain pen world.

• Steve says:

MB stopped making the retractable Boheme and few years ago. They had the reputation for getting stuck evidently according to my local pen shop. I have never had an issue with mine but I do not carry that pen every day.