Cool or not cool? Zenith presents the El Primero 410 Limited Edition

During Baselworld I was able to take pictures of the first prototype, now I have new ones and all its technical specifications for you. Please, tell me what you think!

When I saw this Zenith 1/10 of a second chronograph with day, month, date and moon phase indication in Basel during Baselworld the first time I was delighted. What a beauty!

Click once and then again to enlarge my pictures…

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition prototype at Baselworld 2013

I thought, that´s the right way to go for Zenith… Back to the roots! And with all the story behind, just perfect. By the way, he original model dates from 1969 …

Zenith CEO Jean-Fred Dufour told me that he would also present a limited edition of only 25 pieces with original El Primero´s from 1969. I don´t have any pictures yet and no additional information, but I assume I´ll get that soon.

Zenith CEO Jean-Fred Dufour this year whilst showing me his  Baselworld novelties

Zenith CEO Jean-Fred Dufour this year whilst showing me his Baselworld novelties

So there should be two 410-series: one 25 pieces shot with the original El Primero caliber from 1969 and one 500 pieces shot with the actual produced El Primero Caliber 410 consisting of 390 components.

The look of the new watch with a diameter of 42 mm is inspired from a Zenith heritage piece; with its two Zenith-stars on the dial it looks just gorgeous.

The price: 8100 Euro including 20 VAT here in Austria

I think this is a real collector’s item if you like Zenith.

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition ... the final version

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition … the final version

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition ... the final version

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition … the final version

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition ... the data sheet

Zenith El Primero 410 Limited Edition … the data sheet

Guys, let me know what you think! Am I to enthusiastic? Do you share my emotions? Is this a cool watch? Is this not a cool watch?

TAGS: , , , , , , , ,

40 Comments

1. Alex Digenis says:

I wrote To Zenith five years ago. The gaudy star cladded faces in my humble opinion cheapened the brand. I love this watch. Its a classic style that will never get old. I prefer the look of the black face but could not buy the black face. I just took a good look at the face and pow…more damn stars. I get there must be some historical significance to the damn stars but I am not lovin the 10 / 2 and star on the hand.
    Im seriously considering the alternative face. Zenith….whats with the damn stars!!!!!!!!!???

2. Steve Dabs says:

Forget the pictures – in the flesh this watch is stunning in every detail, the dial is beautiful and the stars are not that noticeable (I too was worried before I saw it), anyone on the fence about this watch should see one in real life because you will end up buying it for sure. Zenith are really stepping it up so a ‘cool’ from me.

3. Steve says:

Bought this watch a few weeks ago and love it. The slate dial is really impressive and makes this watch stand out.
    In a perfect world I would have preferred 40 mm but what can you do…

The finish, case and movement, is top and for the price it is a steal.
    Zenith is extremely good value at the moment, it is a ‘real’ brand with lots of history.

So I agree with you and thank you for the nice report of this watch.
    I just discovered you through Google.

4. Fazel says:

The 410 is a beautiful watch with one minor issue in my opinion. The end of the red second hand covers the moon phase indicator. Other than that this is a beautiful watch, great complication and it is priced reasonably well. If I were to buy this watch I would also get different color straps to give the watch different personality.

5. kinkycad says:

I have a soft spot for Zenith. Love the size too but for me this design is trying too hard: busy. Plus an annual calendar on a chronograph just doesn’t work for me either: if you think about it, what is the function of this watch? The expression, “jack of all trades, master of none” springs to mind.

6. Pavlos says:

Alex i am planing to buy my forth watch ,captain winsor or el primero 410 .? Tell me your opinion

• Go for it, go for it! What a gorgeous watch with an annual calendar and a chronograph. Go for it!

• Rob says:

Pavlos, I’m trying to decide between the captain winsor annual calendar boutique edition, or the El Primero 410. . .I’m stumped! Are you looking at the boutique edition as well?

• pavlos says:

Sorry Rob for late answer. Boutique edition is too much for me too dressy,i prefer better the white captain winsor.El 410 is more complicated and more collectable .i am going for 410

• Rob says:

Packs, I agree and just purchased the 410 as well! You and I are 2/500. Be well, my friend; we are now bound in horological history.

• Rob says:

Pavlos* . . . Damn auto-correct.

• pavlos says:

Good choice my friend me don’t own yet,tell me please how much you buy it?from where you buy it ?did they make you better price?possible to show us some real photo .with respect pavlos from greece

• Rob says:

Pavlos,

It is done! Last night I purchased the 410; my very first time piece. There were only 3 sent to authorized dealers, across Canada, and I picked one up here in my home city of Montreal. I have some serious connections in Boston, but nobody could get their hands on one. They all told me to jump on the opportunity if I found one. So I did! My heart is still racing, and (much to my fiancee’s dismay), I stayed up until midnight just to watch the date change. As for price, I paid $10,600 CAD + tax. Since it was purchased from a large retailer, the only thing I could squeak out was a 3rd year on the warranty. My watch is #142/500. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Rob
            rfainer@gmail.com

7. Chris says:

What’s that scale inside the tachymetre scale, 05,,,10,,,15 etc? I’ve seen them on other chronos as well.

8. Howard Sheldon says:

First the watch is too small it should be 48mm to 50mm to make me happy and who wants a watch named after a cigar unless you are Arnie our last gov. of California.

9. Peter U. says:

It’s cool but why don’t you ever include the price of these watches ? Two things though, for some reason I don’t like the color red for the second’s hand and also I prefer metal instead of leather for the band.

Is this an automatic watch ?

10. David says:

This looks indeed great. I should try to get my hands on one…

11. Edwin Tschopp says:

What are these two stars at 2 and 10 “doing” there? And the typographical look is oldfashioned. Have a look at Nomos, how they design their watch “faces”.

12. Shing says:

I absolutely love the 410. Last year, Zenith actually paid over 50,000 CHF for a prototype from the 1960s/70s identical to the 410.

The 410 doesn’t have a 1/10th chronograph function. But it is an El Primero 36,000 A/hz chronograph.

• Of course this watch measures the 1/10 of a second. You can read the 1/10 of a second from the little dots in between the minute dots depending where the second hands stops…

13. Sam says:

This watch is definitely not for me. Zenith usually kills it for me with their overdone ‘Star’ all over their watches.

14. Micky says:

Alex,

This watch is terrible, and has it’s flaws. Sorry, not for me.

15. Sam says:

I like this watch very much!! Busy? Maybe a little but all necessary complications and still looks somewhat traditional. I would absolutely wear this watch with pride. Also, I love the slate gray colored dial. The only changes I would make is for it to be a 40mm and change “EL PRIMERO” to their “El Primero” script text. Still an excellent watch either way.

Sam

16. Orca says:

Alex, I actually like this watch very much. Classic and elegant plus the legendary El Primero calibre. I would wear this watch in a heartbeat!

17. Abdulaziz says:

Hi to all.
    15 years ago, i bought a Defy for my wife. It is still running well and still in a nice shape. Here, with this look i could choose another brand. To me, not a cool.
    Thanks Allexander sooo much.

18. Alex says:

Alex, I thing there is no 1/10th of a second function here. No indication on the dial nor on the fact sheet.
    As for the design, I agree with John: a bit busy, not well balanced – and why the two stars????

• Of course there is a 1/10 of a second. It’s an El Primero caliber with 36.000 A/h …

• Alex says:

When Zenith refers to a 1/10 sec. chronograph, they mean the special second hand running 360 deg. in 6 seconds. They had a few special (limited?) editions with this feature.
        There are only 5 divisions, not 10 in-between the second indices on the dial, which makes is nearly impossible to read the 1/10 sec. Theoretically you could read the 1/10 seconds, but given the distance between the chronograph second hand and the dial it is not precise enough.

19. John says:

Alex for me this is just a bit too busy and there seems to me to be a balance issue with the small day and month along with the slightly date.

Maybe I am in the minority here but this would not be a watch for me.

Thanks.